Well I messed up. The leggy seedlings definitely needed to be outside, but they certainly didn’t need to be in the way too hot greenhouse.
Those are some damaged seedlings. Problem is- it’s actually kinda warm out now. Warm and sunny. So in the greenhouse bench it wasn’t warm- it was hot! Luckily the raised temps and sunny weather means the greenhouse is unnecessary so I took the plastic off of it.
Then it was just a matter of repotting the survivors.
I managed to save three zucchini, one Boston pickle cucumber plant, two romanesco and two sunflowers.
And there is absolutely no guarantee any of them will survive their early transplant.
But they look ok, and by being in the sun but not in the greenhouse they should toughen up.
I took the opportunity to move the indoor seedlings outside- and to plant some more.
Another 6-pack of romanesco and sunflower, along with a 6-pack of the telegraph improved cucumbers and Swiss chard because you can never have enough of them.
So my greenhouse bench is now just a bench. It might sprinkle tomorrow which might mean I have to take the trays indoors or move them to the table, but it should be clear for at least a week and a half.
Of course I gave up trusting San Francisco weather forecasts a long time ago, so I’ll just have to be on top of things.
I am slightly concerned about wind knocking things over- so I put a bunch of rocks inside the drip trays to try and weigh things down. That also could fail. We’ll see.
At least hopefully I saved a few of them.